This was a large quilt and I was glad to get it off the frame. I wanted her piecing to be the star, but she also wanted it for a show quilt. So, I used two colors of thin thread (blue and brown Sulky 60 weight) and red So Fine in the top and mostly Bottom Line with some Sulky (blue) in the bobbin. I used Quilters Dream wool for batting. The back was pretty busy and I switched colors in the bobbin from blue to red to cream. The top was also pretty busy, but I went ahead with some custom quilting as that was what the customer wanted. I ended up doing more than I had planned and wound up SID all the blocks. I followed the blue strip in the border with a “pebbles on a curvy vine” – something I made up but kind of works good in this case. You can’t see it unless you have your nose up to it, but it helped define those stripes. In between the blue stripes in the border fabric as well as in the red border, I did a feather vine. The ribbon was straight lines with feathers in the light fabric. The minute I decided to pebble around those feathers in the borders, put me on a course of pebbling around all the feathers in the rest of the quilt as well in the negative space of the blocks. (dang)
While you can’t see most of the quilting in bright light, it does show enough to draw you in where you find all sorts of surprises. I tried getting a good pic, but the lighting wasn’t very good when I had time to take pics. This was a monster 97″ square and I’m glad to get it off the frame and move on to the next one (bright blues, oranges, black quilt coming up!). I’ve had my time distracted by an unplanned kitchen remodel due to a leaking dishwasher and a couple of funerals, but I’m back in the swing of things for now.
Beautiful work Joy.