Wee Garden – a Painted Mini Wholecloth

I did this as an experiment with Inktense pencils while I was on vacation in August.  Yes, I know.  I’ve been seriously negligent – again – in posting pictures.  I’ll make it up to you and post several quilts I’ve finished over the next few weeks.

So, I loaded this on the frame and quilted the design, then colored it using Inktense and Prismacolor pencils.  I learned a lot with this experiment.  I had done a design once before using the Prismacolor pencils, but this was the first time using Inktense.  I learned that I’m a bit sloppy and need to take that into account the next time I do one of these. I also learned (after I was finished) that I needed to thin the textile medium with water.  I used Delta Ceramcoat as my textile medium.  After I was finished with the pencils, I used a thin, black prismacolor pen to outline the color.  All in all, I kind of like it. There are some major problems with it – one was that my diamond crosshatching didn’t quite finish properly and is really noticeable since I used two different colors of blue in the diamonds.  It doesn’t really go with anything in my house and I’m not sure what I’m going to do with it. Right now, it’s on one of the rungs of an old apple orchard ladder I use to display quilts in my house.  I did enter it into the Effingham Crossroads Quilt Show in September and it won a 2nd place ribbon.

IMG_20130830_134758_796

Adding color

IMG_20130831_124551_454

Finished — pre washing

IMG_20130901_173825_913

After binding and washing.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s